Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Ayuto...help...I don't know

I seem to have a knack for coming across elderly people who need help. There was the one old lady I encountered last month who needed help with opening her door, and today I had a bit more extreme experience. I was out on a walk just to get some fresh air, as it had been raining all day today and most of the day yesterday. I walked up the hill to the Franciscan monastery, and I entered the park that is on the monastery grounds. Shortly after entering the park, I saw an old man, probably about 80 from the looks of it, on his hands and knees crawling up the hill. At first I wasn't quite sure if I should say anything. I didn't know what he was doing, and I thought maybe he was a homeless person, as there are a few who frequent the monastery. Upon careful examination, I realized that he was quite nicely dressed in a knee-length wool coat and beret, and his umbrella, journal, and handkerchief were scattered on the ground in front of him. This is when I realized he must of fallen off the approximately two foot embankment on the side of the path. In the most comprehensive Italo-Spanglish I could manage, I asked him if he needed help. We were having some trouble communicating, so I just went down there, and he motioned for me to grab his arm and lift him up. Once I got him up I realized that his injury was more severe than I anticipated. He was not able to put any weight at all on one of his feet, and I could tell he was in a lot of pain. There was no way that I was going to get him over the embankment, so I sat him on the edge and tried to explain to him that I was going to get help and would be back. I didn't want him to think I was just leaving him, but it was so difficult to say what I wanted. I did understand him when he told me to go to the Franciscan brothers though, so that is what I did. The only thing was, I wasn't quite sure where the brothers actually lived. I tried to ask a homeless man who was sitting by the church, but I don't think he understood be because he asked me if I could give him some money for coffee. So I went and rang the nearest doorbell that I could find, and I figured it was the brothers' house because there was a religious crest over the door. Once again, I had to try out my Italian while speaking over the intercom, trying to explain the situation. Finally, a cook came to the door, and he came with me to find the hurt man. When we found the man, the cook started talking to him like they knew each other, so I assume they did. We helped the old man up, each taking an arm. That's when two British tourists came by and asked if we wanted more help. I let the British man take over my position at the old man's arm, and we worked our way back to the brothers' house. There they had a wheelchair, which they put the old man in, and I assume everything will work out fine now. I talked with the British people a little more, then came back to Villa Bonelli and told my friends about my unexpected encounter on my walk. It was kind of a scary experience, but I'm glad I could help the man out and that things worked out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment