Sunday, March 22, 2009

A busy, yet relaxing weekend

As I mentioned before, I went on the Amalfi Coast tour this weekend. On Friday we spent the day in a small fishing village called Positano. While there I got in a good couple hours laying on the beach reading my book, even though it was overcast and not very warm. I have discovered that I really love the sea. I love the sound of the waves rolling in, the feel of waves washing over my feet, and the far-off horizon of water. Ashley and Bailey were there as well, but they went out for lunch, and I decided to just stay by the water. It was nice to get some alone time, something that has become quite the rarity on this trip. The downfall of the day was that it started getting really windy and raining heavily in the afternoon. It definitely wasn't the ideal day to spend on the coast, but I am grateful for the time that I did have on the beach.

Yesterday we spent the day in Capri, a small island off the coast of Italy. Capri is sort of a jet-set vacation destination. Some really famous stars have villas there, including Mariah Carey, so it is quite the expensive place. It was a nice place to spend the day though because it is beautiful and really clean without too many tourists around. We rode a ferry from Sorrento, where our hostel is, to Capri. It was sunny, but, once again, it was windy and cold. I really wanted to swim in the ocean for the first time during this trip, and I brought my swimming suit along. It wasn't looking too good for swimming as we made our walking tour to the beach. Even with jeans and a windbreaker I was freezing! However, once we got to the other side of the island it warmed up a lot, and the beach was sort of blocked from the wind. I decided I would brave the cold and jump in. After all, I have jumped into Lake Superior in October in the rain, so what could be colder? So Bailey and I changed into our swimming suits and jumped in. The water was cold, I will admit, but I've definitely been in colder. The water was really clear and blue, and, once again, it was just beautiful. It was very cold once we got out of the water, but I was still glad I did it. That was the highlight so far of this trip!

Today we go to Pompeii, which lies inland in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius. It 79 A.D. Mt. Vesuvius blew up, and the lava covered Pompeii. The houses and buildings were preserved exactly how they were in that time. Later archaeologists discovered the city, and now you can go on tours of the old buildings. I hadn't really heard too much about Pompeii before this trip, but the more I hear about it, the more excited I get about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment