Thursday, February 5, 2009

My crazy beautiful life

So everything that was wrong with yesterday was right with today. I don't know what was up yesterday, it was just not my day, hence the depressing blog post. I was really missing my friends back at SMU, and my friend Mel back home had just found out one of her high school friends died. She was having a hard time, and we were chatting over facebook, but I just really wanted to be there for her. It also rained all day yesterday, which never helps to improve my mood. I know I shouldn't let it affect me so much, but it always does.

But today started out on the right foot when I woke up to shine shining in through the window. I didn't have class until 10, so I decided to go for a run. It was a good thing too, because when we got out of class it was down-pouring. I had another class at 2, so I did some homework in between classes. At 2 I went to my language class, which always frustrates me to a certain degree because it is way too easy. I really really want to learn the language, and the class doesn't challenge me at all. I know I could just try to learn on my own, but I have a hard time disciplining myself to do that. I think I might try to start writing another blog in Italian, and see if that helps me to learn a thing or two.

During Italian class, I was sitting between two of my classmates who make me laugh the most, Ania and Joey. So I was basically trying my hardest not to crack up completely for the whole class period. Also during class, Joey informed me that the guys would be going to go get soccer tickets afterwards. He knew I wanted to come to a game, so he asked if I was coming with, and, of course, I said yes. I have had so many people tell me I have to go to a soccer game that I would probably never live it down if I didn't. Don't get me wrong though, I am super excited for the game, which is on Sunday. I was also pleasantly surprised when we went to go tickets and found out that women get a three Euro discount! I guess they want more women to come to the games or something. I am the only girl from the SMU group going with all the guys, so that should be interesting.

After getting the tickets, all of the guys went straight back to the hotel, but I stayed in town by myself and just did some browsing around stores. The sales are ending soon, so I wanted to get my fill of shopping in. I ended up finding one thing that I was actually looking for, which was a book with the responses to the Italian mass in it. That way I can actually follow along with the masses in Italian, which will be nice. I also found a very cute little cappuccino shop and sat down for some coffee and sweets. It was just a little hole-in-the-wall type place, but the old lady who owned it was very nice and had it decorated cute.

On my way back to the hotel, I walked past a very small old lady who was trying to get into her apartment building, but her key wasn't working. She started speaking to me in Italian, but I didn't understand her. I told her that I don't speak much Italian, but through her gestures I could tell that she needed help getting in. She couldn't get the key to turn, but I got it for her and helped her into the building. She seemed very feeble and was using a cane, but she also had two big shopping bags with her. It was frustrating not being able to communicate with her very well, but at least I was able to understand enough to help her out.

I know this blog entry is getting long and making random jumps, but I want to remember all of these things that happen. So, next random topic, today at dinner I could not stop laughing. And I mean really laughing, where you can't breathe and no sound comes out and your eyes start watering because you're laughing so hard. I don't know what it was. I did not have anything to drink, but everything just struck me as funny. Sometimes I just have to laugh at the situation we're in: 14 American students who didn't know each other before, all from different backgrounds, stuck together in a foreign country for three months, expected to live, eat, sleep, party, study, attend class, travel, and do everything else together. No offense to anyone, but I really think this is the closest to living in a nuthouse that I will ever come. So that's why I just crack up laughing sometimes. If I don't try to find humor in some of the situations, I'd probably drive myself crazy.

After dinner I was planning to stay in, but Ania got a facebook message from one of the bartenders at JJ Hill saying we should go down because there was going to be live music. So, heck, why not? We went down there for a while, and it was nice because the band, which consisted of an acoustic guitarist and a singer, played English songs that we knew. Oh, and I now have a favorite beer. I discovered it on Monday night, and I had it again tonight. It is called Strongbow, and it is an apple beer. I like to drink it with berry syrup, and it basically tastes like apple cider with a little kick. It's probably considered a girly beer, but I don't really care, because it's good. I don't know how good it would be with food, but when you're just at the bar to drink, it's a good drink to have. I really hope they have it in the states when I get back. Anyone know the answer to that one?

1 comment:

  1. Your encounter with the woman having troubles with her key and bags was an excellent opportunity to challenge your language skills in a real life situation. These are the experiences that will make your trip to Italy most memorable.

    ReplyDelete