Sunday, January 18, 2009

Explore!

01/17/2009 Fiesole 4:45 p.m.


Today is Sunday so all the stores are closed and restaurants don't open until dinner time. We went to church last night, so today was basically just a lazy day. Most of my group was doing homework, but I had mine done, so I decided to just go for a walk on my own. For those of you who are wondering whether this was dangerous, it wasn't. It would be just like going for a walk during the day in a Minnesota suburb. As long as you know where to go and stay in the right areas, there is very minimal threat. I walked all around Fiesole just to become a little more familiar with my surroundings. I was able to find a park that has a lot of hiking trails through the woods on a big hill. At the top of the hill I stood where DaVinci tested the wings he invented! The view was just so beautiful, I cannot even describe it in words. I could see a combination of olive orchards, villas, and expansive farmland along with the entirety of the city of Florence. I find it so amazing how harmoniously the city and the countryside blend. It is not like in America where unsightly and environmental unconscious urban sprawl invades farmland. Cities are closer together here, but they are all very self-contained. If you see them from the air, you can tell that they have been the size they are now for years and years. I don't know how they manage to remain so contained; perhaps they do not have the population growth that America has. Whatever they do though, it sure does work. I think I could handle living in a city when it so easy to escape from its boundaries and get into the countryside. I mean where in America can you go from the center of a city of around 700,000 people to a leisurely country lane in an afternoon walk? I love it; it is like having the best of both worlds!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful time. As long as you don't get lost, or locked into a cemetery, you should be fine! Have a good time, but remember, you are there to study . . . :-) We are enjoying reading the Italian blogs . . .

    Eldon's Ma

    ReplyDelete