Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Journey to Italy

On each of my flights on my way to Florence I jotted some notes about what was happening. Travelling through airports actually ended up being much easier than expected, and I actually enjoyed it for the most part. Anyhow, here is what I wrote along my journey:

1/9/2009 10:50 a.m. Minneapolis, MN
I took a Rochester Direct shuttle bus from Pine Island to the Minneapolis airport because it was snowing and the roads were not so good. On the shuttle I met a very nice guy named Tim who works at Mayo as a P.A. He was travelling to London to visit a friend, and he was able to give me some hints about travelling, including ways to avoid severe jet lag. He has been to Europe several times, including one trip to Sardinia, an island off the coast of Italy.

Right now I am sitting in the plane, awaiting takeoff. Due to the snow moving through the Midwest they put me on an earlier flight. This means that I am not with Eldon and Ashley as originally planned. At first that was a little bit scary, but I found that three guys from my class are on this flight, so that made me feel better. Hopefully I will meet up with Eldon and Ashley in Chicago, as we all have the same flight to Frankfurt, then to Florence. I can't believe I will be in Europe in ten hours or so!

1/9/2009 2:20 p.m. Chicago, IL
Once again, I'm awaiting takeoff. it is strange to think that next time I touch the ground I will be in Europe! I met up with most of the Saint Mary's group on this flight, and it is good to know that we'll be together. I am sitting next to a recreation professor from California who is going to Latvia. She seems to be pretty well-travelled. She told me to be sure to see Sienna and to get tickets online to see the "Last Supper" in Milan. She also advised me to try many flavors of gelato. She cited salt, cactus, and watermelon as various flavors available. It will certainly be interesting to try some of those!

1/10/2009 7:55 a.m. Frankfurt, Germany
Well, I've made it this far; I am now in Europe. Now I just have to get off in Florence and make it to the hotel. This might be the hardest part of the trip, in all honesty. We'll have to figure out how to get a taxi or ride the bus. With all of our luggage it is bound to be difficult either way. It is strange being a foreigner now. Announcements and such are always spoken in other languages before the English announcements. So far though, getting around airports has been easier than I anticipated.

I made it Florence safe and sound, arriving at Hotel Villa Bonelli around 10:30 a.m. I am currently suffering from a bit of jet lag, but I will continue to keep you updated. My day in Fiesole has been quite eventful already...to be continued.

1 comment:

  1. who is tim??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    sinserely Matt

    ReplyDelete