Saturday, January 24, 2009

Rain, rain go away, come again in May

The last 24 hours have proven to be trying ones to say the least. I will begin with last night's dinner. When I arrived at the restaurant I was extremely hungry. I had run quite some distance during the day and not had much to eat at all. So I dug right in and ate the first course, spaghetti with pesto sauce, delicious, I must say. The second course was a bit more questionable: plain omelets with a mountain of cooked spinach on the side. It tasted okay, but it was just a weird combination with the pesto spaghetti already in the stomach. Next came dessert, which was pannacotta with blueberry sauce. It tasted disgusting; it was very chewy, and I think it came from a can. But those of you who know me well know that I never waste food, so I ate in anyway. Now I regret it. On the walk back to the hotel I felt very nauseous, and , sure enough, when I got back to my room it all came back up. Luckily I made it to the toilet. After that I still didn't feel so well so I just laid on my bed and watched music videos of sappy country love songs on YouTube. I guess that made me feel better, because I woke up feeling just fine today. Now that I've effectively ruined your appetite and depressed you thoroughly, I can move onto the next issue, which is rain. It has been down pouring all day today! As I mentioned yesterday, we were going to try again to go to Lucca today, but we didn't because of the horrible weather. I guess this is pretty common for Florence this time of year, but it is definitely not what I'm used to. In Minnesota the rain usually lasts a few hours and passes on; it hardly ever lasts for days on end. So I think I will buy a really cute pair of rain boots that I have seen in many of the shops here. Perhaps that will make this weather somewhat more bearable. Despite the torrents I still managed to get to mass and go out for Chinese this evening with a group of friends. We all had soaking wet jeans and were severely chilled by the time we got to the Chinese place, but the food was worth it. I decided to buy a bus ticket and go skiing tomorrow, just to get myself out of this hotel and rain, if nothing else. Hopefully it is cold enough in the mountains that all this rain we've been getting has been fresh snow there!

No comments:

Post a Comment