Saturday, January 10, 2009

My First Day

1/11/2009 Fiesole, Italy 5:35 p.m.


Since my flight arrived in Florence, my days have been quite eventful. After claiming my luggage in Florence I got a taxi from the airport with Eldon to go to Hotel Villa Bonelli. Let me tell you, that taxi ride was harrowing! Speed limits mean nothing in this area, and there are so many cars, motor scooters, and pedestrians on the roads. Not to mention that most of the two way streets are narrower than American one ways, and many of them have walls on either side. Eldon and I were pretty much holding on for dear life all the way to the hotel. After arriving at the hotel we got our hotel room. It is smaller than expected. I will put up pictures soon. We have two small twin beds which are pushed together, so it's basically a double bed. We also have a couch, a desk, a small closet, a mini fridge, a TV, and a bathroom with a heated towel rack :-) The best part about our room though is the view. From our window we can see rolling green hills. You can see a picture at the end of my previous post. It would be better if the crane wasn't in the way, but oh well. Also, we've been able to have our windows open much of the time because it is in the upper 40s and low 50s and sunny! It is basically like late April in Minnesota! Everything is green. I got to explore Fiesole a bit yesterday evening. I went to mass with Ashley, which was in Italian. We were the only ones under 50 in the church besides a couple with a baby. The mass was in Italian, so we only understood the words "Amen," "Alleluia," and "Christo." What I got out of it was that it was the baptism of Christ yesterday. One neat thing about the mass was that it was held in an old Roman temple, and there is still one of the existing columns. I also went out to eat at a restaurant in Fiesole. There I had real Italian pizza (not like the American stuff) and wine, legally for the first time! Today was another eventful day, and I will get to that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment