Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wait a minute, how old is that?

01/15/2009 Fiesole 11:50 p.m.
Today was my first day of my Art and Architecture of Florence class, and it turned out to be a whole day affair. The class itself took place from 11:00 to 1:00, then we toured various sights from 3:00-5:00, so this has been my busiest day by far. We went to the Duomo, the baptistery, and a Gothic style chapel. All of them were so amazing that they cannot be described in words or pictures, although I will present a feeble attempt. There is just such a sense of history here that cannot be found in the United States. The architecture and sculptures that we were looking at dated back to Greek and Roman times. Every day I pass by buildings and statues that bear such significance that I can hardly fully fathom it. If a chapel in the U.S. had even a tiny part of the mosaic ceiling of the baptistery, people would come from far and wide to see it. However, since it is so common here I sometimes tend to grant less credence to these great works of art. I just have to remind myself of what I am looking at, the history behind it, and the work that went into making it, then I am truly amazed.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The history is amazing. When in Slovakia I came to a sudden halt in front of a door on a less traveled street. My travel companion was 1/2 way down the block before realizing I had stopped. There was a door to my right, and I was utterly amazed by the sill, it was solid stone and wore three or four inches in the center. My mind could hardly comprehend how many feet had passed over that sill to wear solid stone down that far. And that is a part of history few would even notice. Take it all in, it is awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete