Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Spare Time....What's That?!?!

01/13/2009 10:50 p.m. Fiesole
Today after class the amount of spare time that I now have hit me for the first time. At SMU I am used to always having something to do between classes, work, homework, and extracurricular activities. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a time that I could say that I had no homework since I began college. Today I could say that for the first time. I finished all of my work for the three classes that I've had so far. The classes seem to be very simple; the literature class is pretty much all review for me, and in the language class we learned the Italian ABC's today. While this is definitely a welcome reprieve from the fast pace I was living at SMU, I have also come to realize that there is a happy medium. Part of my newly acquired free time also has to do with the Italian culture. All stores and banks completely shut down from about noon to two each day. This is so that workers can go home and have lunch and a nap. This is definitely not what we're used to in the U.S. with our 24 hour supermarkets. Also, most shops besides restaurants close for the entire day on Sundays. There just seems to be this European appreciation for free, leisurely time. When we were out walking on Sunday many people were just meandering on the streets with their friends or family, seeming to have no particular destination in mind. I guess my dilemma right now is just finding a way to use my free time so that I feel productive. I have found that this is something that I really need to feel, and I assume it is the same for many middle-class Americans. Whether I am working, doing homework, or volunteering, I like to have a level of personal responsibility. So far I have been spending a lot of time online keeping in touch with friends and blogging. While this is not exactly my first choice of activities while I am in Europe, I can't be out spending Euro in the shops and restaurants all the time either. I am working on finding a happy medium, and hopefully I will be an expert at leisurely activity by the time I'm done here just like the Europeans.

1 comment:

  1. We sure could use some of those European values regarding time managment in this country. A crucial part of you experince there is getting to know the culture, and part of the culture is leisure time. So, feed the birds, watch the sun rise, and try not to get to caught up in always staying busy.

    ReplyDelete